Monday, January 21, 2013

Stella Artois Chalice

So I recently joined the Stella Artois Chalice campaign complimentary through BzzAgent. If you are not familiar, Stella Artois is a Belgian beer, which is definitely on the top of my list of preferred beers!And as an avid beer drinker, I definitely have my preferences. I prefer bottles over cans, and an ice cold beer in a giant mug with a handle over a plain glass. So needless to say, a chalice took enjoying a beer to the next level.



What made this campaign so fun to participate in was that not only do I have this amazing glass to drink out of, but there is actually a 9-step pouring ritual used when drinking Belgium beer. This was totally new to me, and there are actually cafes dedicated to utilizing these ritualistic steps.

So to start my experience with the chalice, I took it to the grocery store to help me pick out a beer.....of course it was a Stella....hehe!


At home, and ready to enjoy my beer:



Here are the 9-steps:

I. THE PURIFICATION
 
The trademark Stella Artois chalice is designed to release the beer’s flavour and aroma.
Your bartender will always use one, preferably cleaned with a non-fat-based detergent.
It’s then rinsed with cold water, allowing the glass to reach the same temperature as the beer.

II. THE SACRIFICE
Your bartender opens the tap in one swift motion to let the first burst of foam flow away.
It must never enter the chalice glass, thus ensuring that every drop of Stella Artois is fresh.



III. THE LIQUID ALCHEMY BEGINS
The chalice glass is held at a 45-degree angle.
When the beer hits the chalice and begins to circulate, it creates the ideal proportion of foam relative to liquid.

IV. THE HEAD
 ALTHOUGH “CROWN” WOULD BE MORE APPROPRIATE.
The natural creation of the foam head occurs by straightening and lowering the glass.
This initial foam is important as it prevents the beer from coming into contact with the air and losing any flavor.

V. THE REMOVAL
Your bartender then closes the tap in one quick action and moves the glass away from the font, to prevent any drops from falling into the glass.
These drops come into contact with the air, and oxidize, making them unworthy of your glass of Stella Artois.

VI. THE BEHEADING
While the head is flowing over the edge of the glass, your bartender cuts it gently with a knife on a 45-degree angle.
This eliminates the larger bubbles, which burst easily and accelerate the dissipation of the head.

VII. THE JUDGEMENT
The right amount of foam is about two fingers (3cm) thick.
The final head creates a protective “cap” that keeps your Stella Artois from going stale.



 VIII. THE CLEANSING
Your bartender then rinses the bottom and sides of the glass.
This step keeps the outside of the chalice clean and comfortable to hold.

IX. THE BESTOWAL
Finally, your Stella Artois is served to you on a coaster, accompanied by the drip catcher at the base.
Behold the perfect glass of Stella Artois.
Cheers to you, and for your patience, a refreshing reward.



YUMMY!!!! The idea behind the chalice, is that is was designed to release the beer's flavor and aroma. I felt that it did just that, but if you ask my husband, he would tell you it tastes just like Stella...hehe! Maybe my palette is more advanced :)

Overall, the experience was so much fun! The chalice is such a beautiful glass, and I think it would make the perfect gift for any Stella fan out there! I liked it so much that I bought some more Stella the next night to verify the results...hehe!  And I LOVE how a 12-oz beer fits perfectly into the glass!


A 2-pack of glasses retails for $14.99 and you can buy them HERE.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment